Infowalking distance: 5.5 km
duration: 4:30 h
walking: 2:07 h
elevation diff: 403 m
location: wollemi national park
driving distance: 65 km
driving time: 1:15 h
water available: yes
Max elevation: 461 m
Min elevation: 203 m
Total climbing: 393 m
Total time: 04:30:04
stupidly steep and slippery (loose leaves)
PhotographsPHOTO GALLERY "20-12-01-wheeny-gap-creek-falls" (2020-12-11 10:33:48)
Closed areas: Dunns Swamp - Ganguddy campground closed - will reopen 27 August 2022
Dunns Swamp - Ganguddy campground is closed from Monday 9 May for upgrades and will reopen Saturday 27 August 2022.
The access road will be closed to all vehicle traffic. All campsites and picnic areas will also be closed.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, please contact the local office.
Closed areas: Glow Worm Tunnel Walking Track closed
The Glow Worm Tunnel walking track is closed from the Tunnel north to the 'four ways' intersection with the Old Coach Rd due to landslips and flood damage. This section will remain closed until further notice due to continuing landslip risk and need for repair works. Visitors can still access the Tunnel from the Wolgan Valley Rd track head by walking up the Old Coach Rd and Pagoda track to the south side of the Tunnel.
Note also that access to the Glow Worm Tunnel from the Newnes Plateau may be affected by closure of the Glow Worm Tunnel Rd due to road conditions (see separate Alert).
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the Oberon NPWS office on (02) 6336 6200.
Other planned events: 1080 Fox Baiting Program in the Capertee Valley
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) will be conducting a baiting program using manufactured baits, fresh meat baits and/or Canid Pest Ejectors containing 1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) poison for the control of foxes. The program will be continuous and ongoing between the 1st of April 2022 and the 30th September 2022 in Wollemi National Park. The program is to protect the endangered Brush Tail Rock Wallaby.
The following trails will be used as a part of this program:
- Capertee River Trail, downstream (East) of the Coorongooba Campground
- Canobla Gap Fire Trail
- Capertee River North Trail
All baiting locations will be identifiable by signs.
Domestic pets are not permitted in NSW national parks and reserves. Pets and working dogs may be affected (1080 is lethal to cats and dogs). Pets and working dogs must be restrained or muzzled in the vicinity and must not enter the baiting location. In the event of accidental poisoning seek immediate veterinary assistance.
For further information please call NPWS Mudgee area office on 02 6370 9000.
Other planned events: Notice of ongoing 1080 program
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS) is conducting ongoing ground baiting programs in Wollemi National Park on the following dates:
- Wollemi-Yengo and Mudgee areas: Monday 9 May to Wednesday 9 November 2022
- Kanangra area: Monday 2 May to Wednesday 2 November 2022
The program is designed to minimise predator impacts on wildlife, especially threatened species, and to minimise impact of wild dogs on neighbouring stock.
Signs will be placed at the entry to the baiting location. Domestic pets are not permitted in NSW National Parks managed lands. Pets and working dogs may be affected (1080 is lethal to cats and dogs). Pets and working dogs must be restrained or muzzled in the vicinity and must not enter the baiting location. In the event of accidental poisoning seek immediate veterinary assistance.
Please contact the local NPWS Area office for more information:
- Kanangra area at Oberon: 02 6336 6200
- Wollemi-Yengo area at Bulga: 02 6574 5555
- Mudgee area at Mudgee: 02 6370 9000
Closed areas: Road closures
A number of roads in this park are closed due to storm and flood damage. The closed roads are:
- California trail - closed until late September 2022
- Martindale trail - reopening to people with permits late June 2022
- Hunter Main trail:
- Sheepskin Hut trail to Raspberry Junction - closed until mid June 2022
- Raspberry Junction to Three Ways - closed until late June 2022
- Mellong Range trail - closed until early June 2022
- Commission Road - Kings Cross to King Junction - closed until late May 2022
- Bulga Trail - closed until late June 2022
- California Hut - closed until late September 2022
- Sheepskin Hut - closed.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the NPWS Bulga area office.
Closed areas: Bob Turners Track closed due to potential landslip
Bob Turners track is closed until further notice, due to an imminent landslip and major safety concerns.
For more information, call the local NPWS office on 02 4632 4500.
Closed areas: Sheepskin Hut campground and picnic area closed
Sheepskin Hut campground and picnic area are closed for toilet repairs from Tuesday 21 December to Thursday 31 Aug 2022.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the NPWS Bulga office.
Safety alerts: River crossings to campgrounds
Vehicle access to the following camping areas is via natural river bed crossings that require 4WD capability, and are subject to flooding:
- Wollemi National Park - Newnes (Cricket Pitch camping area only)
- Turon National Park - all camping areas
- Marrangaroo National Park - main camping area
- Abercrombie River National Park - all camping areas
- Kanangra Boyd National Park - Kowmung river crossing