Infowalking distance: 7.5 km
duration: 5:11 h
walking: 3:28 h
elevation diff: 422 m
location: royal national park
driving distance: km
driving time: 1 h
Max elevation: 140 m
Min elevation: 3 m
Total climbing: 488 m
Total time: 05:10:51
From Warambul picknik grunds there is about 4km paddle to the falls. Another good spot to start would be on Port Hacking River (there is a boat ramp there) but it is 9km paddle one way.
Closed areas: Triangle Carpark, Audley closed for maintenance
Triangle Carpark, Audley in Royal National Park will be closed for maintenance from Monday 11 December until Friday 15 December, weather permitting. Alternative parking is available onsite at Ironbark Flat and Currawong Flat. The Royal National Park Visitor Centre and Weir Cafe will be open for business as usual. For more information, please call the local NPWS office on 02 9542 0632.
Closed areas: The Coast track partial closure
Walking the full length of The Coast track from Otford to Bundeena or Bundeena to Otford is not currently possible. This is due to several track closures along its length. These closures are necessary due to erosion and to allow rockfall and ongoing track upgrade works.
Please note the following closures:
- Palm Jungle Loop track between Burning Palms and Werrong lookout is closed from Tuesday 16 January 2023 to Sunday 30 June 2024 for track upgrades.
- The Garie to Little Garie section of The Coast track is closed due to hazardous rockfalls and erosion.
- North Era campground is closed until further notice
- Garie Road, Garie Beach and the Garie precinct is closed until further notice. This is due to damage and subsidence to the road surface. Walkers approaching from the north (e.g. from Wattamolla or Bundeena) should exit the track via Curra Moors track.
- South bound access- Bundeena to Curra Moors track via Wattamolla and return only. No access to Garie Beach.
- North bound access - Available via North Era and return only. Access is via Garawarra Farm Ridge trail and Burgh Ridge track during track upgrades.
- Figure 8 Pools access via Garawarra Ridge trail and Burgh Ridge track via Garawarra Farm only.
Other planned events: Aquatic weed treatments in Hacking River
The NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service will be conducting a weed spraying operation at Audley, along the Hacking River, above Audley Weir.
The program will take place from Monday 23 October 2023 to Tuesday 30 April 2024, and involve the use of the herbicide metsulfuron-methyl, which treats senegal tea (a class 1 aquatic weed), and clipper tablets (active ingredient flumioxazin) to treat yellow water poppy.
Signs will be displayed during times of herbicide application.
For more information, contact the NPWS Royal National Park area office on 02 9542 0648.
Closed areas: Areas closed for deer control program
Some areas in Royal National Park are closed to the public between sunset and sunrise from Monday 29 May 2023 to Friday 29 December 2023 to enable a deer control operation to be carried out.
The affected areas include:
- All picnic areas in the Audley Precinct
- Asset protection zones adjacent to Maianbar, Bundeena and East Heathcote.
- Wattamolla and Garie picnic areas
- North Era campground and coastal areas between Garie Beach and Figure 8 Pools
- Garrawarra Farm
- Lady Carrington Drive
- Bonnie Vale campground and picnic area.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information, contact the Royal National Park Visitor Centre on 02 9542 0648.
Safety alerts: Curra Moors track in poor condition
Sections of Curra Moors loop track are in poor condition due to erosion. Please use caution and be aware of unstable edges.
Planning for repairs is in progress. For more information, contact the Royal National Park Visitor Centre on 02 9542 0648.
Closed areas: North Era campground closed
North Era campground is closed until further notice due to operational activities. For more information please contact the local area office on 02 9542 0648.
Safety alerts: Werrong Beach access track damaged
The Werrong Beach access track has been severely eroded at the beach access point. There are steep and uneven surfaces.
The track is recommended only for very experienced bushwalkers with specialised skills, including navigation and emergency first aid. Tracks are likely to be very rough, steep and unmarked. Walks may be more than 20km.
Closed areas: Garie Road closed due to damage
Garie Road is closed until further notice due to damage to the road surface.
This road may remain closed for some time to allow for extensive repairs. A reopening date is not currently known.
Penalties apply for non-compliance. Please check Live Traffic NSW for updates before driving to Garie Beach.
Fire bans: Wollemi-Yengo Reserves
A park fire ban is in place in this park and remains in effect unless otherwise extended or removed. During park fire ban periods, all campfire and solid fuel (wood, heat beads, charcoal, briquettes, hexamine) barbecues and stoves are prohibited. Gas and electric barbecues and cookers are permitted as long as:
- They're under direct control of an adult
- The ground within 2m of the barbecue is cleared of all flammable materials
- There's an adequate supply of water (minimum of a bucket)
Penalties apply for non-compliance. For more information about fire bans in parks and reserves including your responsibilities, visit the NSW National Parks fire safety page.